Monday, April 9, 2012

Vitamin D and African Americans

Because of my mother's brain cancer, I have this keen interest in nutrition for curing, healing, or alleviating suffering in cancer. Whatever I can get, you know?

You wouldn't believe how well Mom is doing! She keeps herself alkaline which she claims has helped her a lot. I noticed a big improvement in cognition and fine motor skills. My personal jury is still mulling over the alkaline diet and its potential. But, hey it's healthy plant food, so I have no problem with the food. I've increased her precursors to glutathione (lots of broccoli sprouts and N.A.C. -- watch it now, not too much or vomiting might ensue). She's really doing a lot better. Now she's cleaning the house!

I hear from people, through the forums I belong to and the facebook page that I admin on Low Dose Naltrexone, that their doctors are recommending mega doses of vitamin D for chronic disease. I saw this for myself with my mother's Neuro. These doctors just read the headlines and not the nitty gritty. Unless you've got a recent grad or a soon-to-be grad getting a PhD in Nutritional Sciences, like Chris Masterjohn, who is really up on the latest on the relationship between D, K2, A, magnesium and other cofactors, it's not safe to just mega dose on D. Besides that, you need a frickin test!

You also must consider your hereditary.

As far as I can determine from reading a good bit about this recently, African American people have lower vitamin D levels in their blood but higher active serum vitamin D levels. They still have very low D status over all. Just look how their lifestyle has drastically changed from their ancestors.

Below are a few studies that you should read. With respect to mega doses of any one vitamin, it's not good to think, given that African Americans are in the minority, that what's good for a Caucasian with a chronic disease would be the same dose. You really need to get a test and discuss with a very, very informed person regarding your own needs.

And also remember the obvious: nature doesn't work in isolation and neither does nutrition.

Racial/ethnic considerations in making recommendations for vitamin D for adult and elderly men and women.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585802

Evidence for alteration of the vitamin D-endocrine system in blacks.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3839801

Vitamin D Economy in Blacks
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1359/jbmr.07s220/abstract

5 comments:

  1. This is very interesting Christina. Would you happen to know what differences there might be for those of mixed race? All three of my children(2 grown and one 6 year old) are half black(From me. Although,I have white ancestry as well)and half white(their fathers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen anything in the research I've come across. I bet they are much healthier genetically than a person with pretty consistent European hereditary.
    Have any of your children been given a test for D?

    It's not related to your question, but it's amazing how we can adapt to low levels of D, but it's not good in the long run. India is having a hellava time. They don't fortify their food and many people in all walks of life are indoors. Plus the industrial revolution they're having there is creating serious pollution so the smog is bad. It's blocking the sun. And there's lots of fluoride waste dumped and in the water, so there's serious fluorosis, which interferes with the kidney and the synthesis to vitamin D. There's a real problem in India with D. It's only been in the last 20 years, since I first went to India in 87, that much of this change has taken place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your response Christina! I'm so sorry I did not get back here sooner to see it. I thought I was subscribed to your posts by email, but maybe not. Yeah, my kids are all very healthy. Rarely sick,etc. I don't remember any of them being tested for vitamin D specifically. I may just request that for my 6 year old at his next check up, since we've lived in northern California for the last 4 years. We're from the Los Angeles area originally.

      That is very interesting stuff about what's going on in India. Wow, the smog is so bad that it blocks the sun? Crazy. And the fluoride in the water? Wow, I had no idea it could cause that much damage.

      Thanks again for your response. I am always impressed with your knowledge. Have you ever considered taking your hobby of nutrition beyond that into the professional level? I bet you would excel at it. :-)

      Glad to hear your mom is doing well. She's very blessed to have a daughter like you to take such good care of her.

      Delete
  3. Man, I can't write worth a poop when I'm rushed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You diss your writing and I just think that's funny. I think you're great. Clear, concise, and to the point. Love it!

      Delete