Monday, December 6, 2010

Vitamin K2, Saturated Fat and Other Fats, Unhealthy Gut Flora - Major Components Missing In a Healthy Vegan Diet

When I found that forum post regarding the tooth protocol from Weston Price, as well as reading tons and tons of stories and health articles, it lead me to hypothesise that many vegan health failures stem from these main issues:

1. Unhealthy gut flora or some other intestinal problem which is preventing the absorption of nutrients (which could be as simple as a lack of fat eaten with the food and lack of fat or low fat in the diet, specifically saturated fat*)
2. Lack of oil eaten with the dark leafy greens (which if you don't eat oil with your greens and other food, you can't get the ideal amount of nutrients from them)
3. Too little fat, and saturated fat, in the diet (Yes, I know I've repeated myself.)
4. Not converting K1 to K2
5. Not getting enough of D and calcium, or getting enough, but no K2 which would not do the teeth and bones (or the entire body) any good.

*If you see the healthy vegans and babies a few posts back, did you notice the coconut? I did.

You'll have to read most of the posts on this blog to follow along with the background on these points, I don't want to reiterate all the stuff I've covered over again.

Fat-soluble vitamins are responsible for mineral transport and delivery so intake of vitamin A, D and K as well as saturated fat are necessary. You see you can eat all the calcium you want and it will never get into your blood without A and D. And it will never get out of your blood and into your bones and teeth without vitamin K2. (Activator X turns out to be K2)

Vitamin K2 in particular can significantly lower bacterial count in your mouth, but it can also change your saliva from phosphorous taking to phosphorous bearing. See source at VegSoc Australia


Dr. William Davis, MD wrote about K2 and some of the research: Food sources of vitamin K2. When you read this, and I suggest you read it several times, you'll see how K2 plays a VITAL role in our health and why lack of it (when all other components are there as far as vitamins and minerals from veggies) will make you one unhealthy vegan.

Another interesting fact: Since mammals synthesize a small quantity of Vit K2 forms from vitamin K1, then eating lots of green vegetables should provide substrate for some quantity of K2 conversion. However, work by Schurgers et al have shown that K1 absorption is poor, no more than 10%, but increases significantly when vegetables are eaten in the presence of oils. (Thus arguing that oils are meant to be part of the human diet. Does your olive oil or oil-based salad dressing represent fulfillment of some subconscious biologic imperative?)


--The MK-4 form of vitamin K2 [animal derived] is short-lived, lasting only 3-4 hours in the body. The MK-7 form, in contrast, the form in natto, lasts several days. MK-7 and MK-8-10 [natto derived] are extremely well absorbed, virtually complete.


You can get K2 from a supplement or from yucky natto. Yes, there is natto supplements but there's no mention of whether or not K2 is in those supplements, they just talk about enzymes on the bottle (I just went to the health food store). As you can see from the study at that link, you can increase your absorption of K1 and turn it into K2 by adding fat/oil in your kale salad and I would suggest probiotics because your intestines, to put it frankly, might suck. But to be safe, if you are experiencing any teeth issues, please consider taking a supplement or learning to love natto. You can get the supplement it at Pangea, a very popular vegan shop!

Whatever diet you're on, be sure that you get K2: Vegan K2

Now, I would not get all up in arms and start downing K2. There's got to be a way of checking your levels. If you are a heart patient, go to your doctor.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I wasn't going to say anything but I noticed there were no other comments and I would never want you to feel like this post was for nothing or only "helpful to many people". I want you to realize that this post made ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD TO ME. I am not a vegan but I am pregnant and my teeth are crumbling as I eat. Literally, chunks of tooth are cracking and falling into my mouth as I chew. After reading what others have said about Dr. Price, I wanted to change my diet but I could not risk eating all that marrow and shellfish (1. it's hard to find it fresh in the desert where I live and 2. I would not directly consume marrow for religious reasons 3. the frozen shellfish I do get makes me puke, leading me to believe I have some sort of allergy or intolerance anyway).
    I was blessed to find a post that finally included the importance and source of Vitamin K2. Then I searched Vegan sources of Vitamin K2 just in case I could not find the right kind of butter or, for some reason could not tolerate it.
    Now, to substitute veggies for all that LIVER and SHELLFISH, it looks like I have to eat a lot more veggies than normal. I don't know if it will be enough but I will try.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need D3 + K2 for your teeth and the cofactors magnesium and zinc (actually look up on the Vitamin D council and type in cofactors to see them all). Then look at your diet to get the sources for the cofactors, try to avoid supplements if you are unsure of what you're doing with them. The children with the tooth decay improved with the addition of vitamin D, which promotes calcium absorption in the intestines. Did this just start during pregnancy? Look for eggs with DHA and and vitamin D and E if you can find them or eggs from hens you can clearly see who get sunshine and eat worms. K2 takes the calcium and puts it where it belongs, into your teeth, bones and nails, and away from your soft tissues. This is vital. How about your skin, are you sensitive to the sun, can you go outside and make some of your own D? Steam your veggies and add some fat (olive oil is a good MUFA fat) and try to only use sprouted grains, if you eat grains, perhaps you eat too many and it's screwing up with the absorption of minerals. Weston Prices information is really good, Ramiel Nagel has a book "Cure Tooth Decay" and his is updated with more information. I really hope you get your teeth addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot phosphorus. Since you eat meat, find sources of this in your diet, you can get phosphorus in plants but absorption is limited by the phytic acid found in nuts, seeds, grains, etc, but can be used if you take the phytase enzyme which you can find online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's phosphorus rich foods http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-phosphorus-foods.php however, you can lower the phytic acid content by soaking the plant sources, see the Weston Price literature on lowering phytic acid levels in food, I take the phytase enzyme or I sprout the seeds.

    Excerpt: Phosphorus is an essential nutrient required for proper cell functioning, regulation of calcium, strong bones and teeth, and for making ATP (adenosine triphosphate) a molecule which provides energy to our cells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christina,

    Firstly, thank you for this blog.

    I have found the following supplement but haven't puchased it yet.

    http://www.thesynergycompany.com/bone_renewal.html

    I was just wondering what would be a good dietary protocol to follow to make the best use of this product because I have a lot of problems with my teeth and I don't want any more root canal treatments.

    I was wondering if Coconut Oil would be equally effective as Olive Oil in conjunction with this product.

    If so, I was thinking that for morning meals I could use the Coconut Oil in my smoothies and use the Olive Oil with my evening meals of vegetables.

    Thank you, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a good supplement for teeth. I believe Ramiel Nagel has some information on an improved diet. This supplement you linked has phytase, k2, d3.

    http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Decay/tooth_cavity_vegan.htm

    Coconut oil is good all around for health, for teeth I have not read anything about dental health, but consider that teeth are stronger than bones. If your teeth are suffering, imagine what's happening to your bones?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That didn't make much sense. My thinking is that if a food, like coconut oil, is good for health, then it's good for your teeth too. Fat increases the absorption of minerals and vitamins. So eat some fat with your green smoothies and salads. Lots and lots of greens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With regards to Tara's comments about crumbling teeth, it is also possible that she is simply a grinder. I was a meat eater all my life (until a few years ago) and I regularly experienced finding chunks of my own molars breaking off. It turned out that there was incredible seismic activity going on in my mouth at night but after finally getting a mouth guard for use while I slept, that problem ceased. So maybe Tara just needs to make an appointment with her dentist to be fitted with a mouth guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that could be part of the reason. But google "teeth crumbling pregnancy" without quotes and there's loads of pregnant women trying to find help. The oral bacteria change when a person is pregnant as do the hormones. This is some interesting reading: http://www.intelligentdental.com/2010/02/09/changes-in-your-mouth-during-pregnancy/

      Delete