Monday, December 6, 2010

Anyone want to help me write up a questionnaire for vegans about their teeth?

I don't want to give the impression that there's a whole bunch of vegans with tooth decay. That is not the case. There is an alarming amount of them, though. The link at the end of this post is a mom at mothering.com asking about healthy vegan teeth. She gets a lot of answers from vegans with good teeth, teeth improvements, but not much detail.

Where do you live?
Do you go outside much?
What supplements do take and how much and how often?
What do you eat consistently?

These are the kind of questions I need. I want them really detailed.

I got my best dental reports last year (actually I can't recall having a cavity in recent years, only childhood ones needed refilling) when I became a kaletarian, that is I ate cooked and raw kale a lot. My intestines work great and they are even better now with the probiotics. Kale has lots of K. But eating it and absorbing it are two different things for many people, the ones with the teeth issues. So this questionnaire would be like trouble shooting to see what people are doing right and doing wrong.

I think some of the health issues can be pin pointed to lack of fat or saturated fat in the diet. I don't shy from coconut and coconut ice cream or sauces with coconut in them.

On an ex-vegan blogLetThemEatMeat.com, Jack Norris, RD of VeganHealth.org and Vegan Outreach said: “Saturated fat can help boost cholesterol and steroid hormone levels if they are low and can improve sex drive – I know of one person who went this route and got his sex drive back.”

This is good because I'm a newly wed! Saturated fat may also help the body take the nutrients from plants too, I have to read more about it. To dismiss the work of a decent guy like Weston Price, who is not like the foundation in his name, is really close minded.

Visit this page: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1214954/anyone-a-vegan-and-have-healthy-teeth

Plus, we may very well do better on K2. Natto here I come or a supplement...

2 comments:

  1. Not sure about questions, but I've been vegan for about 10 years, and the dental hygienists gave me big props in the last 5 or so visits. But I don't put it down to diet, but rather these things: (And I'm not someone who naturally doesn't get cavities)

    - The dentist pointed out that one of the things that sticks most to teeth (and makes plaque) is carbs. Just think how scuzzy your teeth can feel after eating pasta, soy milk, cookies, cereal, etc. So I almost always eat gum after each meal, but especially if I feel like the food was clinging to my teeth!

    - If vegans are drinking juice (and not unsugared but processed drinks) then it's also a good idea to rinse, or chew gum after.

    - I keep floss next to the couch, next to my computer, and next to my bed. It's the only way I can be sure to floss every day. I think that's made a huge difference, and is good for gum health as well. I NEVER used to floss before I started doing this.

    - And then I just brush my teeth once before bed, and gentle on the gums, gentle bristled toothbrush.

    So maybe you could gear questions around these kinds of things too?

    Good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Order a Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and enjoy BIG SAVINGS!
    * Up to 10 shades whiter in days!
    * Professional Results Guaranteed.
    * Better than your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
    * Same Teeth Whitening Gel as dentists use.

    ReplyDelete