Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Quinoa Oh How I Love Thee

How to cook quinoa: http://vegangoodeats.com/2010/04/quinoa-101-red-white-and-black/

Be inspired by this wonderful loaf recipe: http://vegangoodeats.com/2010/04/quinoa-104-american-comfort-food-quinoa-wild-mushroom-spinach-loaf-with-cashew-gravy/

I made the loaf for Thanksgiving and it was the tastiest loaf ever! I subbed with sauteed fresh spinach and I also used oil free sun dried tomatoes but added olive oil and brushed the top with the olive oil. Since it's safe to taste the raw, uncooked loaf, I spice it up as needed with more cumin or garlic or whatever.

Most quinoa preparation recipes, especially the one on whole foods, makes a mushy mess. The the one on this guy's site is da bomb. I changed it slightly though. Instead of using veggie broth or water, I used water and 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast when preparing the red quinoa. I would have eaten it all out of the pot, but I used some self restraint.

And, instead of the gravy recipe he has, which looks mighty fine, I made a gravy out of whipped northern white beans, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, one small drop or two of hickory smoke, and garlic along with nutritional yeast, olive oil, and 1 tsp of better than bullion vegan beefless base and water. I sometimes use arrow root to thicken my gravy, but the beans do the trick most of the time.

This was the second Thanksgiving dinner, about a week later. The first one is where I met the dentally challenged children. Ahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment