Sunday, December 12, 2010

How The Vegan Diet Could Be Much Better, The Bible, I'm sorry, Last Post

Stop promoting a very low fat diet.
Eat fat with your greens.
Look up which veggies are more bioavailable when cooked. Carrots are.
Remove canola oil and ALL vegetable oils except olive oil, sesame oil, coconut, flax, and red palm oil
Banish the raw to salads (with olive oil)
Eat Kelp with your soy.
Add coconut oil to your daily diet. Use it as a spread on your yam, or in your veggies.
Eat natto or take a K2 from natto.
Add red palm oil.
Make sure you get your D.
Take a taurine supplement.
Take a vegan multi from whole foods, if possible, and take that multi with the biggest meal of the day.
Stop eating so much bread and grains.
Combine your beans and rice and use less rice.
Take probiotics and digestive enzymes if you need them.
Take a 3/6/9 blend.
Stop saying it's natural, it's not unless you are from a traditional plant based culture.
Consistently take a chewable B12 as directed.
Listen to all sides of an issue even if it is icky.
Never stop learning.
Question "science" especially if it helps out the Statin manufacturers.
Question "science" when it helps out the meat industry too.

Some of us are extremely lucky to be able to follow this in this day and age where there's supplements to fill in the gaps.

I do want to point out that the supplement business isn't booming because of vegans, it's booming because there's lots of people lacking vitamins and minerals. Many diets these days are not that natural.

What about that thing where God wants us to be vegan in the Bible?
Now, let's say that God wants us to be vegan as indicated in the Old Testament. The Old Testament God would have an issue with eating animals, but He had issues in general. However, in the New Testament, He converts from being an asshole to being compassionate and understanding. Therefore, He knows that we have adapted to eating animals and that some people have to rely on animals for their nutrition. The human being is not as consistent a converter of vitamins and minerals from plants, as other beings. He'll forgive us, that's His MO after all.

My Agenda...
Each of us can only try to do our very best given the information we have before us. This website aims to place more of that information before you for your consideration. I hope that all this information inspires you to learn more about being healthy on the vegan diet, even if takes more effort for some. I also hope that if you are feeling like crap on the vegan diet, that you consult with JackNorrisRD.com. I also want current healthy vegans to stop thinking that this is the One Diet to Rule them All. It is not. Have some empathy for your fellow humans.

Grateful
I am grateful to be a vegan (coming up with a new word for it), it's not only aligned with how I feel about animals, my health/hormone issues went away. I had excruciatingly painful lumps in my breasts. I get my period every 28 days, how's that for an old woman? Pretty good! I am equally grateful to have read the article in VeganOutreach that opened my eyes, finally, to the health issues experienced by former vegans. Plus, the Universe/God confirming that few days later that with the meeting of the tooth decayed current vegan children here in Santa Rosa, California. Besides getting married, perhaps there's a reason why I moved here from Florida? What's interesting is that my husband is the one who met the family and I only had the opportunity to ask the mom about her children's health and teeth on the way out the door!

The more I read about ex-vegan health problems, the more I'm so sorry.
I'm sorry for the health problems they experienced and I'm sorry for being an asshole in anyway in thought, word, or deed to all former vegans and questioning, even slightly, their motives or inner life. WTF do I know?

Listen to your Gut/Intuition
I hope you investigate probiotics and consider taking them. I also hope you read all that you can on VeganHealth.org.

This is My Last Post
I am not a health professional, I'm not omniscient, and I have no magic 8 ball with some special insight into all the infinite variations of how each individual's intestines and genetics work. No one does. Unless you do, then you have no reason to speak about why a person ends their vegan diet. We are all different. There is no Average Man and there is no Average Woman.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this will be your last post. I found your blog after hearing about it on Let Them Eat Meat and have really enjoyed reading your posts.

    You posted in response to a comment I left on Let Them Eat Meat about me dreaming of salmon. I tried to write back there but it wouldn't let me. Here's part of what I wrote about your suggestions:

    "I read VeganHealth.org. Last time I checked my vitamin D levels, they were fine. My B12 levels, however, were quite low and dropped significantly since going vegan. I'm getting blood work checked again soon and will go from there. I take a multi, eat fortified foods and eat my fair share of fake meaty stuff. I can admit, I'm going to be vegan for now but since finding out about my B12 issues and taking anatomy and physio and nutrition in preparation for nursing, I've had more doubts than ever since going vegan 3 years ago."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish Vitamin D, Taurine, Iodine, Omega 3, and FAT, off the top of my head. Many people go for the fish. My mother went for the fish too and eggs. Good eggs can cover these needs. I got a 3/6/9 oil and if you've been following the blog, I got taurine, K2 from natto, and the coconut oil.

    OMG the coconut oil is wonderful, I am blown away with how I feel. Brighter!

    Yes, I'm filled with doubts too and I am fine, health wise (knock on wood). What a strange eye opening experience. Perhaps the Vegan Society should have studied Donald Watson's intestines and such so we could get his secret.

    I have to say is a significant difference in me with the taurine and the coconut oil, so now I feel much better and I thought I was fine before.
    Did you see the video how that man's dementia induced fog lifted after the coconut oil?

    Honestly, there's no shame in becoming a non-vegan, I'll still love you! You did your best! We are all very different and have different needs. If you've done what VeganHealth says, you can try the supplement route or you can eat three eggs and see how you feel, and use some kelp to get some iodine. It only takes microscopic amount to feel a huge difference. My mother's thyroid was royally mesed up from soy and she used kelp to repair the damage and now she eats soy a few times a week. I've been using soy since 1987 and haven't had iodine level issues, but I salt my food with iodized salt (which is supposedly not healthy) but I bet it's saved me. But I got a 3 dollar bottle of the mineral salt with the natural iodine now after reading about the caking agents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs + kelp, not the eggs alone. And the eggs don't have that much fat. So eggs, coconut oil and kelp. Weird combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a thread at JackNorrisRD.com there is a thread about Tasha and a Laura is comment thread explained her health issues as a 100% vegan, she now does 95% as that is aligned with her conscience (from what I understand) and her health is not suffering. Jack Norris agreed with her:

    http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1602

    Jack Norris RD Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 9:29 am
    I’m going to have to agree with Laura on this. If someone really thinks they need to eat meat (or animal products) to be healthy, then, in most cases they are going to do it, no matter what the rest of us vegans might think about it. So it makes sense to suggest that they eat as little as possible in order to be healthy. Tasha went from voracious vegan to ravenous meat-eater – that seems like a rather extreme (though not uncommon) reaction.

    BTW, I was tempted to edit the last sentence out of Jesus’ comment. If comments get any more vitriolic than that, I probably will. I don’t want this site to devolve into people insulting each other.

    Laura Says:
    November 23rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm
    It sounds like the “Voracious Vegan” thought of being vegan as deprivation, and when she started eating animal food, it was like “Wow! Now I have permission to eat this and I ENJOY IT!!!” It’s a stressed psychological attitude: drawing a line in the sand, which when it breaks, breaks like a dam breaking. To mix metaphors
    An attitude like what I described, that if you really really are craving meat, go ahead and eat a little bit, could avoid this kind of breaking-the-dam phenomenon that apparently happened with the Voracious Vegan.
    If you avoid 90% of the harm to animals that the average person does, or 95% or 99%, *that is a big deal*. If everybody lived this way, our society would be radically kinder to animals, contributing much less to global warming, and – at least if people pay attention to nutrition as outlined on this website – healthier.
    So if going for 100% would stress you out so much that you aren’t going to do it, why not go for 90% and do that much?
    If you don’t feel deprived going for 100% vegan, that’s great. And I respect that stance. Most people would feel deprived and stressed doing that, though. It’s really common for non-vegans to say something like “mm mmm bacon” or “I couldn’t bear to miss out on mushrooms and steak” when I say pro-vegan things on non-vegan boards. I’ve suggested to those people, why not eat less animal food, then? Find plant food indulgences to replace the animal food?
    I find that doing it 95% or so, avoids a lot of the stress. I don’t worry so much about the feelings of bugs, worms and the like. I don’t worry about small amounts of animal-source ingredients in supplements. I try to avoid leather but I don’t spend days searching for a non-animal substitute. I’ve never been happy about eating meat, but given that I otherwise have huge dietary restrictions already because of food sensitivities, I don’t completely avoid meat, just eat far less than most people do, and no other animal food besides honey.
    Even with regards to harm done to other people, life is a balance between the harm one does to oneself and the harm done to other people. Everytime someone drives, it puts others in danger.
    Even when vegans eat, animals have been sacrificed for it: rodents in the fields where the food was grown, bugs killed by bug spray, etc. Even when vegans eat, they may be contributing to the exploitation of underpaid workers making the food. Etc.
    Being quasi-vegan, doing it 95% or so, is a sane stance to take, I feel. You can live in a way that is relatively very kind to animals, without driving yourself up the wall. I already spend way too much of my time calling 800 #’s, trying to check out supplements to make sure they aren’t sourced from something that would make me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's that sane. Do what sane for you and you alone!

    Yes, last post as far as I can see, I'm out of subjects. I will organize it better in the future, but I'm moving back to FL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rushing through emails and doing paperwork and noticed that I sound half drunk in my writing today!

    The new name of this site: Half Drunk Veganish person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete