Monday, November 29, 2010

The Healthiest Vegan Diet is not a Diet At All

The healthiest vegan diet is not a diet. It's a live it. It's about life. It's not raw foods, it's not low fat, it's not restrictive (as long as you avoid meat, eggs and dairy). It's done purely from the basis of love for animals and not from ethics, rights, welfare, weight loss, or for any other reason. It won't save the world or the planet, it will simply reduce supply for the demand. Factory farming sucks royally. It's not to be better or purer or higher. It's done from the standpoint of seeing yourself in others, in those others called farm animals. For many of us, once you meet one, you won't want to meat one. Hah! When done from that perspective alone, I really feel that biology adapts rapidly to accomodate the heart of hearts. I really do.

Added later: That being said, even if your heart is all in to it but you can't do it all the way, do not worry or feel guilty, just do what you can. I've got your back and soon the QuasiVegan site will have a logo, so there you go! You can be a member of the club! Everyone needs another logo, right? ;-)

I know and feel that the vegan diet is not the healthiest of diets for everyone, as a diet, and I really believe that some people need meat and some people think they need it. Both manifest the same way: by eating meat. And some people really do feel SO MUCH BETTER and it's not a placebo effect. They are my fellow beings as much as farm animals are. I don't judge you at all. As a way of life, I know I am no better spiritually than a meat eater.

As far as food as food goes, this is what I eat these days:

Almonds, walnuts, lots of kale, fake bacon sprinkled on my salad (or I put a little hickory smoke), carrots, tomatos, nutritional yeast on a variety of things, beans of many varieties but usually lentils and chickpeas, faux meat usually the Artisan brand, tempeh, Gardein, Vega, non-gmo brown rice protein shakes, d3, b12, DHA in algae (why not), home made chickpea and wheat gluten cutlets, beans, hardly any rice, coconut ice cream, Our Daily Red sulfite free (I get major headaches from sulfites) vegan friendly organic wine, probiotics, plant enzymes a few times a week, and that new Diaya cheese which has zero nutritional content and I am guilty of eating too much of it in the last week, but I am not into it anymore. I also use low fat eggless mayo (I prefer nuts for my fat), and the occasional baked good that I make or purchase but those Alternative Baking Company cookies are 600 calories!, and almond milk for the smoothie. I also eat gluten free pasta here and there and don't eat too much of soy or gluten but I don't fear them. I eat 1 banana a day and I love yams once or twice a week with Earth Balance. I feel great on these foods. I ate eggs this past week so I would not be hypocrite when I wrote that "ex-vegan" article.

Oh yes, oatmeal mixed with quinoa with walnuts, cinnamon, stevia and a little brown sugar or maple syrup.

Just like I think that the fear of "meat is gonna kill you" and "cholesterol is evil" are either money making scams or fear tactics, non gmo soy and gluten are not bad either when taking in moderation. I don't care what the anti-soy and gluten people say. One day I would love to see people without an agenda, in myself the most.

Peace!

2 comments:

  1. As much, even more! Of course I would save a person over an animal, unless the animal is a dog and the person is Hitler. There you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With bistroMD you know that you will not only receive tasty meals, but that every entree and every day in bistroMD's weight loss program will be balanced to bistroMD's specific nutritional platform to help promote an healthy diet.

    STEP 1 - Choose one of the weight loss plans for 5 to 7 days of meals.
    STEP 2 - View your menu before ordering and pick the entrees you desire for each day and week.
    STEP 3 - Order your diet plan.
    STEP 4 - Your entrees are delivered to your door.

    ORDER NOW - home deliveries.

    ReplyDelete